Saturday, August 13, 2022

Damn Selene


    I remember in high school I never quite fit in with various groups. I wasn't interested in typical machismo activities like sports or fixing cars. I was an outcast who preferred waxing the philosophic and finding thought provoking music with my peers. When I listen to Damn Selene's amazing music, it evokes this same sensibility from years ago. Selene's music is reminiscent of industrial acts like Nine Inch Nails or Prick with the occasional unexpected digital sound effect lifted directly from a chip tune library. Selene is an incredible talent who can compose complex intricate beats that they use to serve their urgent yet hypnotic raps. Their bars are drenched in clever wordplay and rhythmic rhyming to such a degree that the listener has to re-listen to the song to get every little nuance that they are presenting vocally. I managed to see them preform, albeit not in person. It was a stream from MAGFEST, in which I could see exactly how fast and meticulous they were with not just their rhymes but the production of the sound as they played. I was absolutely transfixed at the synchronicity which Selene pulls off so effortlessly. Some of their songs are devastatingly personal, some are a commentary on issues they find fault in, or they're about sleeping with your dad. Regardless of the topic, Selene manages to present these subjects with sincerity and urgency. 
    While I have not yet worked with Selene in person, I had the joy of making a music video for them. The song, while presented with a catchy beat and infectious lyrics, depicts an excruciating element of their existence. This element is chronic pain, which they lampooned by calling the song The other chronic, in reference to a hip hop classic. However, by juxtaposing Dr. Dre's album to their own chronic pain, Selene paints a picture to the listener. A picture of an outcast,  which is something I can relate to.For those of you who never quite fit in, much like myself I highly recommend Damn Selene's music!  You can listen to all of their amazing albums on Bandcamp or all streaming sites! 


No comments:

Post a Comment